Thursday, October 25, 2007


That is the only word I heard last night while I was soaking in the tub trying to get this kink out of my back.

I asked Kevin to dry Brynn's hair with the hair dryer mainly (bad parent alert) so that I could lay in the tub for just a few minutes alone since my back has been thumping all week. It was relaxing until I heard Kevin yell, "Get out of the tub. We may have a fire!"

Now, let me tell you this--16 months after we were married, the house we were living in burnt down to the ground. Luckily, Kevin and I were safe, but we lost some very important items that my mom had given me before she died. We know what it feels like to realize we have no toothbrush or underwear. Such a strange feeling.

So, not wanting to get out of the nice, hot bath, but also not wanting to burn to a crisp, I slowly got out of the tub to find out what had happened. Meanwhile, Kevin is running down the hall looking for the fire extinguisher. Like I have any idea where it is! (I probably should though, ha?) Finally, I figure out that my hair dryer caused the outlet to catch fire. The smell of smoke was very potent in our little bathroom. Brynn couldn't understand what was going on. One minute she was getting her hair dried, the next Daddy is running down the hall like a madman yelling for the fire extinguisher. (Looking back, that part is actually funny!) So now we have no electricity to any of our bathrooms since they are all on the same circuit. Tonight it is on to Home Depot to get parts to fix everything in the wall and Target to get me a new hair dryer. If our house makes it in one piece to Kevin's brother's visit next week, I will be really amazed.

1 comment:

Vivian M said...

I am so glad no one was hurt and that the damage was contained! What a scare!