Thursday, November 15, 2007

Working Mom Blues

That's what I have today--The Working Mom Blues. Or is it just Mommy guilt? You know the type of guilt you feel when you can't be there 24/7 with your child no matter how much you would like to? I have to work full time. I don't have an option. We don't have flex hours, no part time, just full time 9-5. Not a bad schedule usually. It turns into a bad schedule when your child asks you to stay or when she doesn't want you to leave when you drop her off at preschool.

As much as I hate to admit this, I know in my heart of hearts that I could not be a stay at home mom. I don't have the patience, creativity or energy. I know that many are judging me right now. But I know me. I wouldn't be happy. But I would love to work less hours and spend less time doing stuff that adults have to do and have more time with Brynn.

One thing I know for sure is this: Both of my parents worked full time jobs. My dad worked 2 or 3 at the same time. I don't remember them not being there. When I needed them, they were there. I turned out ok. I can only hope that Brynn feels the same way in 30 years when she looks back at her life.

1 comment:

Vivian M said...

Julie, I am a stay at home Mom and sometimes I wish I was working full time!
Both choices are hard, and lots of work. And no one should be judging you, you are doing what is best for your family.
So don't feel guilty. You are an awesome Mom!